Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Hurricane IRMA

So the past few weeks have been a little stressful to say the least... but let me just start with the past month since time goes by so long before I post again.

Andrew has been begging for a dog since we were married I feel like, and now that we have a house with a fenced in back yard he has wanted one even more. We have been looking casually, and about a month ago, we saw a black lab puppy for sale on Craiglist about an hour away from us. He was the last puppy in the litter, so he was a good deal. We drove out there to meet him, and I knew we would be buying him... The boys love dogs, and I also have fond memories with my dog growing up (I just didn't really think we would be getting a dog with little kids running around. I caved once I saw this cute little puppy and since we don't have any little babies at home, we decided to get a puppy. Dean named him Sticks and we brought him home a week after we met him.


When we brought him home, he was anxious but the boys overwhelmingly loved him. He was such a mellow dog and did so great at our house. The first few nights were rough with him missing his brothers and sisters and whining, but he has adjusted perfectly. He still is a good dog, better potty trained, and does great except for when he wants to chew on everything.

Labor day weekend was fun. We drove up to Georgia to spend it with my parents for my mom's birthday. We brought Sticks, so I was worried about drive up but they surprisingly all three did great. We had fun going to the splash pad and playing with Granny's house. Andrew went with my Dad to Athens for a UGA game and had so much fun.



On our drive back, that's when the news started talking about how bad Hurricane Irma would be heading towards Florida. We were super nervous and started our plan of action the whole car ride back home. Andrew went that night to Walmart at midnight after we got home Monday and they were already starting to clear out of a lot of things. He was able to get most of what we needed Monday night/Tuesday morning. The closer the storm approached the more nervous I became. It was all I could do to not watch the news all day which made me more anxious every time seeing the destruction in the islands. We also had so many family and friends texting us checking up on us that week which we appreciate.

Andrew had work until Friday, and I felt uncomfortable driving up with the boys with the traffic and gas shortages, plus we had just gotten back from Georgia... I ended up staying and after praying we felt good about that decision. We felt prepared with everything we needed (water, food, batters, etc.). We also are very blessed in where we chose to buy our home. It happened to have hurricane shutters the previous owner had bought (most homes in our area don't) and we also are not in a flood zone.

Sunday night, the storm started hitting us hard, and we had planned for the boys to sleep in our closet that night. They did great sleeping through it, and I was the nervous wreck. The worse the storm got, the scarier it sounded and I would shake I was so nervous. To me, I pictured the absolute worse in my mind outside. The next morning, after little sleep we peeked out our window and noticed the only damage was parts of our fence had fallen and some shingles feel off our roof. I was so grateful nothing worse happened. We were out of power for a couple of days, which was not fun in the heat, but it definitely made us more grateful for what we have.



Now that a week has passed, we are back to normal around here and most everywhere has power. There is still debri left around the city, but stores are stocked people are going about their business. Andrew spent the weekend in South Florida helping to clean up after the storm with our church group. I am grateful for his willingness to serve, and I am also grateful for our church who is so prepared when things like this happen.


No comments: